Sunday, February 15, 2009

A Miracle.

Yesterday my mom and I were out and about running Saturday errands before she left.  And the first errand was to the dry cleaners to pick up Nicks clothes.  I grabbed my wallet, paid for the services and placed said wallet on my bumper as I loaded the clothes into the back of my SUV.  I proceeded to leave the wallet on  my bumper, get in the car and jump on the freeway to go to Costco in Chino Hills.  Went to Costco, and didn't discover it missing then because my mom paid and then headed over to Lowes for a couple items.  It was then as I was going to pay that I discovered it missing.  Panic set it.  I started freaking out, using bad language and then got really silent.  We headed back to the cleaners, no luck.  Backtracked every step.  No luck.  And came to the conclusion that is was gone.  I was hoping that it fell off on the freeway and got run over and that no one took it.  And did I mention the wallet was $150 also.  Nick had got it for me last summer as an anniversary gift, and I loved it.  So I came home, cancelled everything and prepared to start over.  My only consolation was that my temple reccomend wasn't there and the night before I had given Mr. G the $120 in cash I had in it.  End of story......

Skip to tonight.  7:30 my doorbell rings.  At the door is a man holding my wallet.  This is what happened.  My wallet somehow miraculously stayed on my bumper the entire time I was on the freeway, as I got off the freeway in Chino Hills and turned onto the street to go to Costco, my wallet flew off my car.  Across the street from Costco there is a Great Indoors that is going out of business.  And because of that they had employed sign holders to advertise on the street that they were going out of business.  It was this sign holder that saw my wallet fly off. He picked it up and returned it to me tonight.   He was a little hispanic man, with a very thick accent who lives in Riverside.  He drove all the way from Riverside tonight to return it to me.  Nothing was gone.  Even the $1 dollar and gift cards I had inside it.    My heart was full.  I gave him $20 to say thank you but that doesn't seem enough to convey my gratitude for his kindness.  

I am grateful for the example of Christ like service that was shown to me tonight.  My faith in the kindness of others has been strengthened.  

5 comments:

Joanna said...

How lucky!! Its nice to know that there are honest people out there.
Hope you are feeling better.

Please enjoy... said...

what a story! i know the feeling of PANIC bout losing the wallet, cause once i left my purse with everything in it in a small restarurant in POMONA - crime city! anyways, we raced back and luckily the bag had the same color as the chairs and no one even saw it (i would not have seen it would i not have known it was there.)
I'm glad you have your stuff back!

Natalie Garces said...

That is such a awesome story. It makes you realize that good kind hearted people are out there and not everyone is trying to rip you off. Someone tried to rip us off last week and tried to spend 1000.00 dollars at K-mart with stevie's card number. They got his card number some how and thank goodness our bank caught them before they did any damage.

Hangin with the Burke's said...

Wow that is incredible. Congrats!

Olivia said...

I'm glad you mentioned that the good Samaritan was Hispanic. I think too many people LOVE to mention when "Mexicans" do bad stuff, but when someone, like your guy, goes out of his way to do something good, no one ever says a word. So thanks.

And yes, I'm Mexican.