Saturday, May 17, 2008

What does a mother do?

Since Nick was a kid he has been afflicted with migraines. Very severe migraines that result in vomiting and the feeling of going to die. Nick inherited these from his father and grandfather, we had hoped that Nico would skip the curse. Not the case. Nico came down with his first migraine a few months ago and has had a couple since. But not bad, we gave him some of Nick's medication and Nico seems to do fine.
Until tonight, when I gathered the kids to have family prayers Nico got angry at me and hit me, which is very unlike him. Then right after prayers he started crying and saying his head really hurt. I gave him medication, finished getting him ready for bed and put him to bed thinking the medication would kick in as he fell asleep and just sleep off the headache. The next thing I hear is Nico's screaming in his bed that his head is hurting so bad. So I bring him out to the family room with me and he tells me he's going to throw up. Which happens to Nick when he has a really bad one. We run to the bathroom, he looses his dinner. And can't stop screaming. He told me his head was stuck like this forever and he was going to die. My heart is breaking at this point. Because I can't do anything. He vomited 2 more times after that, just crying uncontrolably. I tried to stroke his head and he asked me to stop touching him or talk to him. He finally got in a zone where he could calm down and I thought he was asleep and I asked him if he was, and he said "mom, please don't say anything." He needed complete darkness and silence, just like his dad.
What does a mother do? How do I help him? I started crying at seeing my baby boy in so much pain. Nick wasn't home, he was dejaying and when I called him and told him I could hear the sadness in his voice. Because the last thing he wanted to do was pass this on to him. He rushed home to be with him he felt so bad. The pics I posted are as he was finally resting peacefully. How does a mother watch her baby in that much pain? So sad, it broke my heart.

5 comments:

A new Flight Attendant, said...

I'm so sorry, it is just hearbreaking when our babies get sick. You should check out www.earthclinic.com Go to "cures" and then search migraines. I've fallen in love with this site and the natural remadies really seem to work. Good luck!

{priscilla} said...

Poor Nico! When I had my c-section with Ezekiel, the spial shot they gave me tore and spial fluid leaked out of my back. The same symptoms that Nico is having happend to me but I just thought I had a bad reaction to the other medication. I couldn't see, the room had to be completely dark, my kids couldn't come for too long of visits because it almost felt like there voices was loud static. I felt sick to my stomach and vomitted several times. Right before they were going to relase me I told the nurse about what was going on and she said I had a spial headache! It's when spial fluid is leaking out and the amount that's supposed to be around your brain is less and less! They had to re-insert the needle into my back and while it was sticking out, draw blood from my arm and push it into the same hole to close it. I had to wait 1 hour and it completely went away....until 3 weeks ago! I get the same head pains, almost like tons of pressure on the back of my skull and I had to consanstrate on my breathing or I'll throw up. It comes and goes, some days I'm in tears and can't get out of bed and other days it's gone! I feel for poor Nico! Good luck! And sorry this is sooo long!

Jayme said...

poor guy....I have had migranes since I was little too. My mom had to take me the ER on several occasions to get a demerol shot (no imitrex back in the day) I hope his migranes are not as often as Nicks are.

zuniga family said...

My heartbreaks for you and Nico. I hope he feels better today. I am glad to hear things are good!

kahnfam said...

Poor Nico. I can't believe that he is having such severe migraines at such an early age! I really feel for him. I get migraines, but I've only had a handful where I felt like throwing up. I hope he feels better!