Thursday, February 21, 2008

The Ultimate Challenge



So Nick and I cleaned house financially so to speak. We made a choice a couple weeks ago to purge our (and by ours I mean Mine) spending habits and to live with only what we need for at least the next year in an effort to get out of debt (we owe the man) and save money. No eating out, shopping etc. You get the picture. I was out of control, spending like money grew on trees. Too bad it doesn't. Nick and I were not getting along because my spending was stressing him our more than I probably know. And as we all know, MONEY IS TRULY THE ROOT OF ALL EVIL. So after years of this problem and not doing anything about it I decided to shape up and actually try. I enlisted the help of my mom to help hold me accountable and keep me on track. I am actually sending her my receipts as proof so that I have to answer to someone besides Nick. I have been forbidden to enter Target as a result. I thought I would go through withdraws and I suprisingly have not. Target was my pit of doom. Bad idea for Rachel to enter that store at any time. We are eating out meals at home as a family eliminating eating out costs. I have made this a game to see how little I can spend. I feel good at the end of the day if I haven't gone anywhere and spent any money. Nick is really trying too. We are comunicating about money, something I'm sad to admit we didn't do. We are laughing together, we are giddy. Something new for us. That didn't happen before. The other night we were steamrolling each other in bed at midnight, while laughing hysterically. Sadly that never happened before. And although the stress of paying down our debt it still there there is a happiness I didn't expect because I'm not putting our financial future in jeopardy anymore. My resolve is solid and unmoving. I have found that since making this choice, other choices have become easier. Like reading my scriptures, prayer and kicking it into high gear at the gym. I feel a renewed sense of optimism. So while I dreaded doing this, it has been the complete opposite. Such a wonderful blessing in our lives. My thanks to our family and friends that are supporting us as we do this. I apologize for the length of this post but I want to remember this time in the years to come when I feel pressed and unsure. And at some point my kids will read this and know how their dad and I struggled but also how we overcame it and became better.

6 comments:

Hangin with the Burke's said...

Rachel thank you for sharing this I am so excited for you guys. Just try and remember that it will be hard for a couple of years but once the debt is gone you will be FREE!

Katie said...

I know exactly how you feel. We just atarted living on a budget for the first time, and it was surprisingly freeing! It does feel really good to be able to be open and honest about money in your marraige. More power to you!

zuniga family said...

Amen sister. I am doing the same thing. I am desperately trying to get out of debt by the end of the year. The way I am going, it is looking promising. My goal is to be out of debt by the time Sal is out of school and by the time we have a second baby. Hopefully, it works. Congrats to you. Iam glad it is making your marriage happier!

Betsy said...

Rachel- I kid you not- Just today I was thinking so much about you and wondering where you were living and how many kids, yada, yada... then jumping from blogs to blogs I found you! I am so happy to see you so happy. Your kids are absolutely beautiful! I hope you'll keep in touch, I would love to call you, so check out my blog and email me your number. www.scottandbetsy.blogspot.com. P.S. If you didn't know, I am married (for around 2.5 years) and loving it- but no kids yet. The married name is Carlile :) xoxo!!

Danielle said...

Good job, Rachel! I am proud of you. I agree about Target, it really is better to just avoid it all together! Thanks for being a good example!

queenieweenie said...

That's awesome. I'm so proud of you guys. Money is such a hard thing. Never enough. It's good you're getting a handle on it while the kids are little 'cause they are SO EXPENSIVE when they get older.