Thursday, August 23, 2007

The evolution of my kitchen

OK, so when we bought this house 3 1/2 years ago the market was crazy. If you didn't put an offer down within minutes you lost the house. Before this house we had put two other offers on homes and been outbid or the buyers offered a shorter escrow. So when we came upon this house we were on our way to Phoenix and we when we saw it we liked the curb appeal and it had a big yard and the rv parking we needed so we put in an offer sight unseen, without seeing the interior. So when we finally got this house and saw the inside for the first time this is what we walked into.

One of these days i'll post the rest of the pics of the house when we bought it. Put it this way 1976 original with wall paper. Not pretty. Scary really.


So this was our supposed cozy family room, connected to the kitchen and dining room.


This was my kitchen. I almost passed out when I saw it. There was no way I was living in this house with this as the place I was going to prepare meals. So we painted the cabinets white, put in new wood floors and replaced the counters, sink and appliances. Our only fault was that we just sort of did half assed, ( i can't think of any other way to say it)



So we decided to refinance after 2 years and pull out equity to remodel our house the right way. We were sick of the floors so we ripped them out. Installed new windows, gutted the backyard, etc, etc, etc. You get the pic. So this is Nick tearing out our old icky kitchen.



Here was our clean slate. No floors, no anything, just bare walls. We also took our outdated flouresant lighting and installed new can lighting.


We hired a custom cabinet maker and completely reconfigured the kitchen and added a buffet to the other side of the room. Here they are finally installing the cabinets. It took forever. I lived with out a kitchen for about 3 months from start to finish.

Here they are all installed, it was seriouosly my happiest day in a long time.


Here are my new granite counter tops. I was so excited.



After the kitchen Nick started working on the sliding glass door. We put a new one in that was 2 feet longer and better at keeping the heat out. By the end I was so sick of all the dust I was about to move out and make Nick clean it all up.


At the end this is what we ended up with, The big yellow box in the corner is our new tv they we have to wire and hang above the fireplace. We still have crown molding and base boards to do. They are sitting in the garage just waiting. But from where we started I am so happy

Here is my new kitchen, with my new floors. I just got those about a month ago, in the kitchen though, all the rest of the house had already been finished in the tile. All we have left in here is a new window and window treatment. Would i do it all over again? Ask me in a year when it's not so fresh in my head.

4 comments:

Jayme said...

So beautiful!!! Well worth the wait!

Mindi said...

Love the kitchen!!! You are a stud for living in the old one!! Your family is absolutely gorgeous!!! It was good to hear from you - this blogging thing is pretty fun!

Sarah Hull said...

WOW! I love the transformation pictures.... and the OUTCOME is AMAZING! I bet you are just loving having a kitchen again. How did you live so long with out one?
We put in granite counters a year ago and I was without a functioning kitchen for a few DAYS and it did me in!
O.k., so I talked to Vicki.. have you talked to her yet? She said a Sat. would work better for her. Does that work for you? Does Shayleen want to join us? Let's just keep trying to pull this off. My Sept. is not too full. Keep me posted.

Natalie Garces said...

Wow the house is looking so beautiful! by the way thanks for the advertisment for my hair styling abilities. Sydney looks so stylish with that cut. Love you guys!!!