Friday, October 05, 2007

a moment for my little Sydney

So last Saturday Sydney was playing in her room, just being a kid, doing what kids to best, making messes. And without notice she started screaming her head off and ran in to where i was and showed me her bleeding foot with a rather large hole in it. Once we got the blood under control and calmed her down she explained what happened. Somehow, and i still can't figure out how, she tripped and as she was tripping a blue colored pencil stabbed the top of her foot. She brought me the pencil and a very large portion of the pencil was broken off. Our first thought, it is in her foot. So my brave hubby dug around in her foot and said he couldn't find anything so we thought we were in the clear. I put cream and a bandaid on it and that was all.

Until yesterday at around 6:00pm when sydney came running in the house screaming yet again only this time it was about the fact that her stabbing wound was bright blue. I looked at her foot and the wound was huge and in fact AQUA blue. So I started sqweezing and sqweezing and Aqua Blue liquid began pouring out of her foot. So yes the pencil was in her foot and had been there festering for almost a week. And had melted. Yuck. So she's screaming that her foot is going to fall off and blue is oozing out, Nico has made the kitchen counter next to where Sydney is sitting his comand post for his lego megazords and is leading them into battle, and Sophie is cligning to my leg and screaming at me at the top of her lungs to pay attention to her and she's tired and ready for bed. So after I explain (ok, i didn't explain, i yelled) that Sydney's foot is not going to fall off, and Nico to move command central and Sophie to just be quiet then the puss starts to roll out of her foot. That stuff would not end, gross, gross, gross.

So I finally get some control, move Nico, put Sophie to bed and get Sydney as calm as i can and I call my mom and explain the situation (mama Jill is a nurse) and she tells me that it's probably infected and I should take her to the doctor first thing in the morning. And shame on me as a mom, this is what i told her. "mom, if I do that I can't go to the gym and I can't miss the gym, her foot can wait until after i'm done" (i know, i know) So she tells me to take her to urgent care right then. So I call nick, he begins to come home, and i arrange for someone to come sit with the kids till he gets home and syd and i head out the door. Mind you that she is screaming again because she thinks the dr is going to shoot up her foot and dig some more.

So we get there the dr looks at it for about 1 minute, tells us it is infected and gives us a prescription for the next 10 days.

We even got home before Nick, yeah for Kaiser. So my night went by in a blur, sydney's foot is still attached, and Nico finally moved his megazords(megazords are power ranger things he makes with legos) and Sophie slept through the night. I guess it makes a good story.

But I think we'll avoid good stories for a little while.

4 comments:

zuniga family said...

Rachel,

The GYM??? I am glad to hear sydney is doing okay and that she is not going to loser her foot. That must have been a nightmare. You sound like you handled it well. Did you at least get to go to the gym?

Tanya said...

Oh my goodness!!! I would have feaked out I think. I can't believe she had it in her foot the whole time. That is one of those bizarre, rare stories and I'm sure as time goes on there will be lots more. =)

Tanya said...

I found my template at http://matiekay.blogspot.com/ and it was super easy to install.

Marissa said...

You workout freak!!! Blue puss should get first dibs on your time!!!