Monday, January 14, 2008

Love Tag

I saw this tag on another blog and I thought it would be fun to do.




Where did you meet your husband?
Well back in the day Vicki and I spent our weekends hitting all the stake young adult dances all over the Southland. And one June Friday night in 1997 we hit the Huntington Beach dance and lo and behold who should I meet there? But the one and only Nick Garces.




What was the first thing he said to you?
Ok so a few months before this night we had been at another dance and met Brian Votaw. Now Brian in Nick's best friend and was with him this night in June. He recognized us and the both of them came over and chatted. And the first thing said to me was "If I tell you you have a hot body, would you hold against me?" We were all feeding each other our cheesiest pick up lines. Well it appartenly worked because here I am writing about it ten years later.




When was your first date?
Well the night we met we spent the entire night together with Vicki and Brian at Vicki's house. She and I were house sitting. We made gross quesadillas and mac & cheese and we made the boys watch our choir show. I'm shocked they didn't walk out right then, looking back. I saw him again the next night but our first official date was a few days later when he took me to a Dodger game. It's funny because at first I didn't really even like him. Up until the Dodger game I thought he was annoying and besides I had a missionary. But when he walked in the night of the game I think I had to have Vicki close my mouth for me. Hottttttttttttie!




When was your first kiss?
Ok so I'm easy. 3 hours after we met. What can I say, cute guy, cute lips, nice but. But who can blame me really. Looks how it ended up.


(one of the pictures from our engagement session)

Long/short courtship/engagement?

We dated for 18 months when Nick proposed and he only proposed because I was throwing giant hissy fits about it. I felt like I had done my time and it was time for that ring. Looking back would I have waited longer? Yes I would. We were engaged for 7 months. Totaling a little over 2 years. I was just barely 21 when we got married and so not ready. Neither of us were. So I would have stuck out the engagement a lot longer.


When he did propose we were at the Block at Orange with some friends and he took me aside to talk. He went on to explain to me that we probably shouldn't talk about getting married until we were engaged. This sent me into a tail spin, I was so angry at this point I just wanted to turn around and leave. Then he countinued to say "now lets sit down and talk about this" to this I said 'heck' no and turned around. Then he somehow managed to get me to sit down, sat down next to me and said "so like I said, I don't think we should talk about getting married until we're engaged, so what do you say?" as he's holding the ring out. He didn't even get down on one knee. Such a Nick proposal. I couldn't script that more like him. So I made him get down on one knee and said yes.



(This was the night Nick and I got engaged at the Block)

When did you get married?
July 17, 1999 in the Los Angeles Temple! The day was perfect.

(So here is a wedding photo and I can't get it any bigger. I must have scanned it wrong. Sorry)Where did you honeymoon?

We spent a week in Hawaii. Since neither of us had been there before. Had a great time and met some great people.


So 8 1/2 years and three kids later here we are. And loving every minute more than the last. We haven't been without our share of difficulties and I know we'll have more but I wouldn't trade them for anything. Look at what I got.

So, now it's your turn to tell me (and everyone else) your little love story. Come on...just do it. If you read this you are tagged!

5 comments:

Natalie Garces said...

Awwwww!! what a cute little love story you two have. I can't wait until I have been married for 10 years and can look back at where it all began.

queenieweenie said...

We have the same Anniversary! Mine was just a "little" before yours. Cute post. I went and bought Twilight tonight.

zuniga family said...

Wait, was I there for most of your engagement. I think you mentioned me more than Nick. I don't remember the quesadillas but the mac and cheese, gross! That was a fun night. We were whores!! just kidding. Hey you at least ended up marrying the guy you made out with. How is Brian doing?

Jayme said...

love this tag! so nice to go back and remember what is was like to be young and have no kids :)

{priscilla} said...

Great Idea! It's fun to hear your guys' story! I remember going to those YSA dances as well and meeting you. Some of us kids from the whittier stake would go together or meet up later to eat. But of course my best memories are when I met my hubby there! :)